Moroccan Style Veggies with Couscous - Vegetarian Gourmet
This is a very impressive dish to serve for a large gathering. I especially like to serve this dish in the early autumn when all the fresh local root vegetables are abundant in the outdoor markets. You will notice it is a big serving (good for about 8-10 people) which is why I use 2 large baking dishes (you may even need 3 depending on the size of your squashes); you can easily cut the recipe in half. You can also prepare this dish up to 2 days in advance up until step 4 and cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate. Remove from the fridge at least 1 hour before serving and then just before it goes on the table continue with steps 5 and 6.Add Favorite
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Buttercup Squash, halved and seeds removed then chopped roughly
- 1 Acorn Squash, halved and seeds removed then chopped roughly
- 4 Large Carrots, Peeled and cut into large chunks
- ½ Head of Green Cabbage, cut into large chunks
- 2 Cups Fresh Baby Turnips
- 1 Rutabaga, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 5 shallots, peeled, cut in half
- 4 Cups Vegetable Stock or water
- 1 Tbsp. Turmeric
- 2 Tsp. Paprika
- 1 Fresh Chilli, diced finely
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tsp. Saffron Threads
- salt and Pepper
- 1 Can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 6 cups Basic Couscous
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C)
- Crush the Saffron and mix with ¼ Cup of boiling water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes
- In 2 large baking dishes (or possibly 3 depending on the size of your squashes), arrange the vegetables and toss with the olive oil, and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl combine the saffron water with the chili (if using), garlic, turmeric, paprika and vegetable stock. Divide this mixture evenly over the 2 baking dishes of vegetables. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and add the chickpeas and mix well. At this point, I recommend you taste the sauce for seasoning. If it is a little bitter add about 1 tsp. of sugar per baking dish. Cover and place back in the oven for 40 minutes more.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and sprinkle the top with the cinnamon and sugar. Raise heat to 400 F (205 C) and place the dish back in the oven uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- To serve, place the couscous in a heap on a large round serving dish. Place warm veggies all around the circumference.